Making a decision on which whole house dehumidifier to buy can prove difficult, especially with the myriad of overflowing dehumidifier brand available in the market. But that problem is what this piece aims to solve. Here we shall be reviewing whole house dehumidifiers as well as learning important information about it. So feel relaxed as we flow along in this article.
Whole House Dehumidifier: Definition and Comparison
A dehumidifier is an appliance that removes excess moisture from the air for health or comfort purposes. Its basic components are:
- Fan compressor: This helps suck in air and cool the unit coils.
- The coils: Helps to absorb moisture by cooling the air.
- Re-heater: This warm the air returning back to the atmosphere.
- Reservoir or channel: To collect or discard the moisture (water) absorbed from the air.
However, a whole house dehumidifier serves the purpose of dehumidifying the entire house unlike the stand-alone dehumidifiers that serves only a room or in one space at a time.
Likewise, stand-alone dehumidifier conserve electrical energy more than the whole house. However the accumulated water by the unit needs to be emptied often to prevent overflow. The reverse is the case for the whole house dehumidifier because they are mostly connected into the plumbing system and therefore discard accumulated water themselves.
How does it work?
Though all dehumidifier have some varying features, there functionality is basically the same. The fan compressor pulls in air from the atmosphere. the pulled-in air goes through the cooling coils where the excess moisture is pulled out and then sent to the re-heater to be heated and dispersed into the room. The moisture is sent to the reservoir or the flow out pipe.
What are the features to consider when shopping for a Dehumidifier?
They are features that stand out one brand of dehumidifier from the other. Knowing these features and how they translate to your personal or home needs, make your shopping cost effective and productive. The basic features to look out for includes:
- Size of the dehumidifier: This is in relation to the space you’ve set out to position it.
- Noise level: This is important as you don’t want to be solving one problem and creating another.
- Energy saver and Eco-friendly: This should factor in for reduction of electric bills.
- Temperature settings: Determine your indoor moist condition and go for a dehumidifier that will function well in it.
- Water removal: Consider a dehumidifier that is not stressful in term of amassed water disposal.
- Filter usage: Using a filter dehumidifier involves replacement or/and regular cleaning. So decide if you are cut out for that and if not, better to go for non-filters models.
- Warranty: Ensure to check the period for which the warranty covers so you do not incur loss if the unit should pack up sooner.
Benefits of a Dehumidifier
Every investment or endeavor you partake in should yield some form of benefit in the long and short run . Below are some of the benefits that a dehumidifier will yield in your home.
- With a dehumidifier, the flourish and growth of molds, bacteria, mild, fungi, mildew is disrupted. This is because these allergens require the presence of moisture to grow. But with moisture absence you are protected from the diseases they cause
- They run quietly in the background, removing excess water from the air while you go about your normal, healthy life.
- Dehumidifiers protect your clothing against molding or clogging up. Your furniture, walls, curtain, bedspread and art piece are not left behind.
- They aid easy breathing as they reduce irritation on the respiratory system.
- Dehumidifier also reduces dust particles from flying around and causing respiratory problem like catarrh and hay fever.
- When the moisture in the air is controlled, food, breads, etc. will not easily get decayed. Also your electrical equipment or appliance (computers, pressing irons, optical equipment, camera etc.) would not become rusted or corroded sooner.
Maintenance of a dehumidifier
Keep It Clear: Do don’t place the dehumidifier where there are obstructions or blockage. This may lead to a cut supply of air as well as overheating.
Keep it Clean: At least monthly, it is advisable to wipe the vent and filter clean (if the unit uses one) to remove dusts and impurities that may have clung to it. Also replace the filters when they become faulty or weak.
So far, this article has been able to update your knowledge about the workings of a dehumidifier. It is expected that the next line of action is purchase. Below is a review of some brands and models in the market so you can be better informed when making up your mind.
Reviews of 10 Best Rated Whole House Dehumidifier
1. Honeywell Truedry Whole House Dehumidifier
The brand Honeywell are well into the manufacture of electrical appliances; and over the years they’ve become a trusted house hold name and according to ENERGY STAR’s performance testing, they are among the most efficient in the industry.
The Honeywell DR90A2000 is an eco-friendly and energy saver model that serves the dehumidifying need of large homes. It can be installed in walls, cupboards as part of a central cooling or heating system of the home or they can be installed as stand-alone in basements, attics or crawlspaces.
The coils of this compact model are coated with anti-corrosion product that ensures its longevity. It eliminates up to 90 pints of water per day from the indoor air!
However, it doesn’t come with a humidistat, so you will need to order it separately.
2. Frigidaire 70-Pint Dehumidifier
Frigidaire dehumidifier eliminates bacteria in the air that makes breathing difficult; it also protects your home from mold that is brought about by the presence of excess moisture in the air. It has an attractive design to suit the décor of your home and it operates quietly leaving you with a serene environment.
It eliminates up to 70 pints of water per day. And uses standard 115V electrical outlet so you can saves energy and money (41°) and cut down on electricity bill expenses while enjoying a dehumidify air.
It also features Ready-Select electronic controls with digital humidity readout that automatically regulate humidity levels, plus 24-hour on/off timer and control lock as added safety measures.
It is Energy Star Certified and UL Listed.
3. Aprilaire 1770A Ductable Whole-House Dehumidifier
The Aprilaire dehumidifier absorbs triple the moisture capacity of most dehumidifier brands out in the market. With a capacity to remove 135 pints of water per day, you cannot go wrong buying this unit; especially if you live in water-logged environment.
What’s more? It automatically senses moisture and maintain an optimum humidity level in your home. It automatically switches between local dehumidification when the air-conditioning isn’t running and whole-house dehumidification when the central air condition system is running.
4. Keystone 70 Pt. Dehumidifier
The Keystone dehumidifier removes up to 70 pints of moisture from the air per day; and can dehumidify a room up to 4500 square feet.
It features electronic controls, led display light and 24 hour timer. All put in place to ensure a safe and automated experience. When the bucket fills, the unit will automatically shut off until the water is dumped out and the float drops. However, it can be plumbed into a drainage pipe for continuous operation.
Interestingly, it also has an Auto-restart that saves your settings during a power outage so you do not have to start pressing in commands and control all over again. It also offers top mount control pad with a digital readout for relative humidity.
It settings include Normal, Turbo and Auto-Defrost. And it has a front-mount collection bin with the usual auto-off capability, a washable filter to trap dust, and casters for mobility.
5. Thermastor – Santa Fe – Compact Crawl Space Dehumidifier
The thermistor is am extremely compact and powerful dehumidifier designed to absorb the moisture in medium sized basements and crawlspaces of up to 1600 square feet.
The Energy Star Rated dehumidifier is guaranteed to remove 70 pints of water per day at AHAM conditions.
It delivers Low-temp operation (40 degrees), superior air filtration, and optional accessories, all put in place to give you satisfaction for your money as well as health benefits.
It operates a two filter system. One of it is reusable and washable, like those found in a window a/c unit. While the second is a replaceable pleated paper filter like you might find on an air return on a central HVAC air handler. When it is initially purchased, it consists of both filters but you would eventually have to purchase a paper filter.
6. Aprilaire 1850 Dehumidifier Ductable Whole House
Aprilaire dehumidifier has the capacity to remove 3 times moisture of up to 95 pint per day. And there is no need for distressing yourself emptying tanks because it has a duct for connecting to a plumbing system.
It can also automatically sense moisture level and maintain the humidity levels in your home. It can automatically switch between local dehumidification in the absence of air-conditioning and whole-house moisture extraction when the central air condition system is running.
However, the only difference it has from the Aprilaire 1850 Dehumidifier is the amount of water it can absorb per day. The former can absorb up to 95 pint per day while the latter absorbs 135 pint per day.
7. Ivation Thermo-Electric Intelligent Dehumidifier
The Ivation IVADM45 is suitable for spaces of up to 2200 cubic feet. It is mid-size, making for a better use of space, even as it helps extract moisture and dust particles from stagnant areas and mildew- and mold-stricken rooms.
It is compact, lightweight, energy conservative and powerful dehumidifier with Peltier technology for a silent operation and longevity.
It also eliminates unpleasant odors and mistiness as it works to absorb excess moisture at a rate of up to 25 ounces per day at 86° Fahrenheit and 80% relative humidity.
Another wonderful feature is the auto humidistat which helps to regulate the desired relative humidity level between 40-80%. Without the humidistat, energy is easily depleted as the dehumidifier will be required to work non-stop even when relative humidity drops.
Also, it comes with a removable water reservoir that can contain two liters at a go. This would save you the stress of emptying the tank frequently. It can even hold up for 2-5 days. Furthermore, it has been pre-programmed to switch off automatically when the tank capacity has been reached. An indicator light will alert you to empty the tank.
8. BurCam Whole House Dehumidifier System
The BurCam F80210 reduces mold, mildew, odors, condensation and structural damage in your homes. It is a one unit whole house solution for the improvement of air quality.
It is also energy efficient and consumes less power than a 60 Watt light bulb. At least you can save up on electricity bills while enjoying a dehumidify air.
It is an easy to install and operate dehumidifier with sate of the art electronic control systems. Such as the humidistat to help you regulate humidity levels in your home and vary the fan speed.
9. Aprilaire 1830 70 Pint Whole Home Dehumidifier
The Aprilaire 1830 model is a whole home dehumidifier that can absorb up to 70 pints of water per day.
It features a digital control that displays the current humidity and humidity settings for personal adjustment.
And according to the Energy Star web site, its energy level is 1.85 so you can save up on electricity bills.
A lot has been discussed in this article so the ball in your court to take the necessary steps towards owning one of these in your home. The benefits are outstanding and hold great benefits for you in the short and long run.